This is an intermediate level course that is more focused on DAX, the Power BI query/expression language.
A good grasp of DAX is essential if you want to extend your data analysis skills and get maximum value from measures in Power BI.
The course is built around Power BI Desktop - you need your own copy (free from Microsoft). Like all our Power BI courses, we put a lot of emphasis on practical, hands-on activities in Power BI Desktop.
Course content includes:
- What is DAX?
- Functions in DAX
- Calculated Columns
- Measures (including Quick Measures)
- DAX Context - understanding row and filter context
- Writing DAX in Power BI
The course is designed so that you become confident in DAX.
To get maximum value from the course you need to have reasonable MS Excel skills and have some experience with Microsoft Power BI Desktop. You should know how to:
- Import data tables from Excel
- Build basic reports with visualisations like slicers, line charts, bar and column charts and the matric chart.
- Enhance your data model with basic calculated columns and simple measures
- Export your report to the online Power BI service
It also helps if attendees do some thinking about the kinds of problems they would like to solve with Power BI. Course activities are more impactful when they can be linked to real life problems/examples.
Can I bespoke the course?
The best way to bespoke the course is to ask us to build around your own data. We can replace our own course sample data with some of your spreadsheets. That way at the course you have a working, fully interactive report built in Power BI Desktop that you can use and share with colleagues.
Online training requirements
You will need:
- A good internet connection
- Webcam & audio
- MS Windows PC with Power BI Desktop (download is free from Microsoft).
We invoice for payment before the course starts.