This course is designed for people who want to produce effective Power BI reports for an education sector audience.
The course is built around Power BI Desktop - you need your own copy (free from Microsoft). Like all our Power BI courses, we put a lot of emphasis on practical, hands-on activities in Power BI Desktop.
The course assumes some Power BI Desktop knowledge experience - attendees should know who to import tables of data from MS Excel and then use them to build simple reports.
We look at some specific examples of student/education reports that have been built with Power BI.
Course content includes:
- Report design and why it matters
- How to choose the right chart or visualisation
- Using calculated columns and measures to enhance education data
- Building useful relationships between data from different sources
- Designing and building reports that find insights in student performance data
- Sharing with colleagues reports via the online Power BI service
All the examples/activities in the course are education based - the focus of the course is how you build reports/dashboards for stakeholders and colleagues in an education context.
To get maximum value from the course you need to have reasonable MS Excel skills and be familiar with Power BI Desktop. You should know how to:
- Use basic formulas in Excel
- Convert data into Excel ‘tables’.
- Filter columns, format data (numbers, text etc.) and columns that are based on formulas.
- Build simple reports in Power BI Desktop.
Can I bespoke the course?
This course works really well when it is built around your own data. We can replace our own course sample data with some of your spreadsheets. That way at the course you have a working, fully interactive report built in Power BI Desktop that you can use and share with colleagues.
Online training requirements
You will need:
- A good internet connection
- Webcam & audio
- MS Windows PC with Power BI Desktop (download is free from Microsoft).
We invoice for payment before the course starts.